Do you already have your source content?
How ready is your existing content?
There are generally five levels of content readiness, from content only existing within a subject matter expert’s (SME) head to a previous course that just needs to be tweaked.
Nothing is ready
- You have no training assets at hand. It’s all in someone’s head.
- Documents, slides, videos, or instructor-led training (ILT) content that need to be organized and refined for eLearning.
- Slide decks of past training sessions (with accompanying instructor-led training), training manuals, binders, or other “book-form” content. Provided draft content that needs to be edited and optimized for eLearning. The instructional designer may need to work with the client to clarify learning objectives and revise the content accordingly.
- All the information is there, already broken into appropriate slides, and generally requires editing and recommendations.
- An existing eLearning course.
Do you need to interview subject matter experts? (SMEs)
Regardless of your content readiness level, it's likely that you'll need to update your content to make sure it remains relevant and effective.
Your “SMEs” are the people who have a wealth of knowledge in their heads, and the quality of your courses depends on that knowledge being captured, compiled, and converted into course material.
- Have you identified the internal and possibly external resources that you – or someone – will need to interview to fill content gaps?
- If there is a large number of SMEs to interview, with each having their own scheduling constraints, will you be able to adequately schedule interviewing time with them all?
- Subject matter experts may be resistant to changes in the way that content is presented or delivered. How will you handle them having different ideas about how the course should be taught, which may conflict with your business goals or desired outcomes?
- Subject matter experts may not have experience in designing or delivering training. How can you help them understand the needs of the target audience or the requirements for creating effective training modules?
Neovation’s team loves to talk to SMEs and is able to drill down into the core information needed to build your courses.
We enjoy assembling new courses from whatever you bring to us – from sticky notes to existing training content